Regular attendance and punctuality are absolutely necessary. A student is expected to be in his/her designated area for line formation five (5) minutes before the scheduled time during regular Monday assemblies, and in the classroom before home class as well as after recess and lunch breaks.
Class Activities and Routine
- Children must come to class with the textbooks, notebooks, paper, and materials needed for the day’s tuition. These should be kept clean, orderly, and organized always.
- Projects, reports, assignments, and homework are considered part of a student’s academic work.
- Each learner is expected to accomplish them neatly and accurately. Submission if ever necessary must always be on time. The diary/assignment notebook should be regularly inspected and signed by parents to ensure the completion of homework and communication with teachers.
- Unnecessary talking, making disrespectful comments, speaking unless requested to do so during class hours are all strictly prohibited. The teachers concerned will deal with any offenders accordingly.
- Active participation during discussion and volunteering one’s opinion are expected from the students but tact and utmost respect for others must be practiced always.
- Cheating during quizzes or tests and project preparation is a serious offence. Honesty must always guide the students in the accomplishment of their functions as learners.
The following minutes are recommended guidelines for homework:
⋅ Kindergarten : 15 to 30 minutes
⋅ Grades 1 + 2 : 30 to 45 minutes
⋅ Grades 3 – 5 : 45 to 60 minutes
⋅ Grades 6 – 8 : 60 to 90 minutes
⋅ Grades 9 – 12 : 90 to 120 minutes
Core area teachers assign homework. However, teachers of additional skills (Music, Computer, and Home Economics) may also assign occasional homework. Please communicate with the teacher if the load seems too light or too heavy. In addition to assigned homework, students are expected to complete additional 30 minutes of reading per night.
- Fighting and rough play will not be tolerated. Any student who breaks this rule will automatically be sent to see the School Director or Academic Supervisor for guidance.
- Students who display repeated bad behavior will be sent to the School Director, Principal or Academic Supervisor for evaluation and, assessment.
- Parents will be notified by letter of any disciplinary action taken against any of the students. Any parent can make an appointment to discuss the matter with the School Director and any staff member involved.
- Detailed student files are being kept on all students. Any transgression as well as achievements will be kept on file for future reference and may be viewed by parents upon request.
- Any student who is dismissed from CIA FIRST International School for repeated and serious discipline issues will not receive a refund of fees.
- Students who use foul language while on school property are subject to disciplinary action. This includes any break time, lunch time, or dismissal time. Any student who rides the bus is subject to this same rule while on the bus.
- Students are strictly forbidden to leave the campus, without staff permission, at any time.
Discipline and Order
Students are taught to refrain from loud talking. Students should take care when moving around the campus and should be mindful of the comfort and safety of others. Inner discipline must always be observed. It is essential to effective learning.
- Bus students should line up according to their assigned route for efficient attendance and safe boarding.
- All students should be prepared to board the bus not later than 11:35 (morning dismissal) and 4:05 (afternoon dismissal).
- Any student who receives three bus safety infractions is subject to suspension of bus service.
This policy includes:
1. No fighting or rough play on the bus.
2. No behavior that may distract the driver. For example: yelling, throwing objects, moving around the bus, etc. STAY SEATED!
3. Don’t throw anything out of the windows of the bus.
4. Be respectful to other students, the driver, and bus assistant.
5. Food or drinks should not be consumed on the bus.
- Bus discipline follows a level system in which repeating minor offences, threats to the safety of the bus, and refusing to follow instructions will result in the suspension of bus privileges. Parents are required to provide transportation during bus suspension.
- Students shall not run inside the buildings. This includes classrooms, hallways, the office, and especially the stairways.
- Don’t touch any electrical outlet! Ask for permission to touch any electrical equipment.
- No glass is allowed in the building.
Play Area Safety
- Food or drinks are not permitted in the play area.
- No glass is allowed in the play area.
- Rough games are not allowed.
Pool Area Safety
- Students are not to run inside the pool fence.
- No jumping in the pool when other swimmers are nearby.
- Food or drinks are not permitted in the pool area.
- Students are required to take a shower before swimming.
- The younger students should be encouraged to use the toilet before entering the pool.
- No glass is allowed in the pool area.
- No students are to be in the pool unsupervised.
Uniform and Proper Grooming
- An ID with the student´s latest photo must be worn at all times during school hours.
- All students are expected to be neat and tidy at all times. Personality is reflected in his/her attire and other personal belongings.
- White undershirts, never colored ones are allowed.
- Every Friday, students can wear the prescribed P.E. uniform, rubber shoes and white socks.
- Fingernails must be strictly clean and well trimmed.
- Girls´hair should be neatly combed and tied/ribboned/pinned in place. They are encouraged to wear very simple accessories such as ribbons, hair bands, barrettes, etc.
- Children are not allowed to wear pieces of jewelry, such as necklaces, rings, earrings, bracelets and similar items inside the campus. Should any jewelry be worn, the school cannot accept responsibility for its loss.